So the one hiccup to this weekend was the fact that the Orange County airport was a mess, I missed my flight, and had to hop up to LAX for a redux (thanks for the ride, Dad). But it allowed for the following exchange.
Skycap (to Other Skycap): Make sure them people in line can see the sign!
Other Skycap: (adjusting sign that reads "$2 per bag (plus gratuity)")
Me: I'm just checking one bag. (displays $2)
Skycap: (holding bag tag) What's this?
Me: The sign says "$2 per bag."
Skycap: Mmmhmm. "Plus gratuity." Where's my gratuity?
Me: Excuse me?
Skycap: (holding bag tag hostage) That $2 goes to the airline. I need my gratuity.
Me: (digging in wallet, pondering a $2 gratuity)
Skycap: I gotta get paid.
Me: Here's a dollar.
Skycap: (to Other Skycap) Put this bag tag on the suitcase and take it over there. (to Me) Follow him. Next customer!
That's right, folks, in a matter of 30 seconds, our Friendly Skycap had uttered the phrases "Where's my gratuity?" and "I gotta get paid."
There are some times when you work for the unions, and then there are the times when the unions work for you.
8/23/07
Only in LA...
Musings from
Irish Elvis
Topics:
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
...which is why I no longer use skycaps...
Post a Comment