*Sigh*
Not all days are good. Today’s dilemma has to do with health. Everyone who has been around me these past couple weeks knows that the doctor has asked me to stay away from wheat gluten, which basically means no wheat or flour products.
The good news is, it looks like dairy is back in play. So I can have ice cream and cheese and milk, just no (normal) cake, pasta, or cereal. I’m not a guy who is all about putting large chunks of time into thinking about meals. I like to eat what’s cheap, what’s fast, and what fills me up. Unfortunately, that methodology leads to frequent restroom visits, and other craziness years down the road (diagnosis forthcoming over the next couple months)...increased risk of diabetes, malnutrition, anemia, etc.
There are some days when I’m cool about things, and I can roll with the punches. Last Sunday was not one of them, when I had to pass on the Hegemom’s homemade blackberry cobbler and strawberry rhubarb pie, both illegal. And today is not one of them, as I sat downstairs trying to figure out what to do for lunch this week now that my favorite staple (peanut butter & honey sandwiches) along with its more recent substitute ($2 frozen dinners) are both on the bad list.
I’d much rather not eat lunch than deal with the hassle of 1) come up with something substantive before leaving for work and/or 2) eating a healthy, filling breakfast in the morning. Those of you familiar with the "early morning face" know something’s gotta give. I tried the "not eating lunch" thing while with my last employer, and bouts of dizziness, decreased energy (and weight), and general grouchiness isn’t exactly what I’m hoping for.
Boo. It feels like I have to gear up and put a ton of unnecessary energy into thinking/planning stuff that most people can do nonchalantly. I think I need a beer.
Oh wait, that’s not right -- those hops they use to make beer? Yeah, that’s a wheat grain. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.
5/30/06
We Suddenly Have Lots of Extra Oreos...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment