5/14/06

Coming to NBC-TV on Tuesday, May 16...

So The Philosophress and I drove to Las Vegas this weekend to celebrate my cousin’s college graduation, and there are a good many stories to tell. In the back of my mind I have always wondered how they find those not-so-bright people for the “man on the street” segments for the late-night talk shows, and now I know—they go to college graduations and talk to my family.

Yes, loyal readers, Jay Leno interviewed several UNLV graduates on Saturday, and my cousin was one of them. While I’m sure they’ll edit out the questions she answered correctly, when Jay Leno asked her to finish the phrase “Why buy the cow when you can...,” she responded with “buy the farm?” Jay looks off camera to see her mom (my aunt) with a look of horror on her face, and brings her on camera to discern whether this “good mother” ever taught her daughter the important things in life.

Of course, he has my aunt give the correct answer (why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free) and its meaning ("don't put out until you're married"), to which my cousin replied, "Oh, well I'm going to be a virgin until I get married, just like Jessica Simpson!" The whole exchange was really quite funny, I guess it just goes to show that sometimes spontenaity is more humorous than anything that could have been scripted.

Not sure what else will make it on The Tonight Show segment (the smart money is on the two kids that convinced themselves that Margaret Mitchell wrote a book about the Deep South during World War II, but then added the part about Atlanta burning, because that has never happened), but that got our weekend off to a great start!

No comments: