11/21/09

Why Fear is a Bad Thing

I have a problem with inaction, and it originates from two related problems: fear and shame. I firmly believe there exists in the soul of men the desire for adventure and for challenge. In times of national conflict, this essential part of man translates to military heroism. In personal life, this translates to pursuing growth, accepting challenges, and demonstrating resolve when facing difficult life situations.

Too many times I give up, run away, or back down from conflict.

I'm not sure when my fight-or-flight response broke, but I'm doing what I can to send it in for repairs. I'm disappointed with my penchant for making excuses when I should take action, when I respond with emotional insecurity instead of rational analysis and measured response.

I wasn't always this way, and I'm trying to find my way back.

I have the most trouble when assessing my actions or a part of myself -- I'm more likely to try and justify wrong action than admit a mistake and correct accordingly. I manifest similar behaviors within marriage and at the workplace...I'm not sure if I should congratulate myself on consistency or not ;) But the longer I'm stuck on ignoring, defending, or justifying actions, the longer it takes to find a solution and get back on the right road.

There's a healthy type of fear -- self-preservation in light of negative or long-term consequences -- but fear that breeds inaction is noticeably absent in men of adventure, courage, and passion. Men of Consequence have historically labored against all odds to achieve goals. Of course, this has many cautionary tales (workaholics, Wall Street moguls) to go along with exemplary figures of Churchill, Roosevelt, Lincoln, etc. But I find it interesting that, even in our American culture, we are apt to reward those who encounter large measure of success (movie/TV/music stars) as well as those who fail spectacularly (AIG, GM, and the early rounds of "American Idol").

No comments: